30 November 2006

THAT Song

Years ago (like 15) I worked on a fashion show which, for about five minutes, blasted (and I mean blasted like even my teenaged girl-self would have thought it was too loud) a mesmerizing song that imprinted itself firmly in my head. For a long time after, I'd walk into random record shops and sing the lyrics to employees in the hopes they could point me toward a recording of the song so I could listen to it obsessivly for a few weeks and GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD. Nobody could place it. Finally - FINALLY - I found it. I bought a CD and listened obsessively for weeks, until I could sing the entire song backwards and forwards and then, mercifully, it left me alone.

Chris is not merciful. Every few years, he finds reason (or no reason) to bring up the song and it enjoys a few days (weeks) romping around in my head again. Tonight, it was for no reason. Worse, he dug up a Muzak version online! EEEEEEEWW. It's worse than the girls who try to host an intelligent plot discussion during commercial breaks for Gilmore Girls! Make it STOP! Please make it stop! Mean. SO mean.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid to ask what the song was in the event that it drives me crazy but I won't be able to get it out of my head either...

Anonymous said...

well, I'm not sure I want to know what the song is, but wanna say what show it was in?

Anonymous said...

what song???

karen said...

rob - we were in josie; might have been michael kors?

colleen & gmoo - it's a theme to a 1968 movie; the song has a different name than the film so, while it plays in the titles & credits, it's not exactly a 'title track'.

i didn't post the actual song for fear of fixing it into someone else's head...although perhaps the maximum volume blast effect is what actually glued it into my head?

Anonymous said...

so what's the song?

Anonymous said...

I don't remember the show, but I'd bet on "Windmills of My (Your??)Mind" from "The Thomas Crown Affair." Monotonous & appropriate for fashion, and from a 1968 film.

karen said...

got it in one. chris posted a link to the lyrics on his website. the sting version has the same lyrics, but isn't nearly as brain melting as the original. if you can't find the original and simply must evaluate it for yourself, let me know.

karen said...

P.S. The movie version is sung by Noel Harrison and has orchestration. You can probably hear it here:

Windmills Of Your Mind by Noel Harrison

subscribe!

Add to Google Reader or Homepage Powered by FeedBurner Subscribe in Bloglines