11 February 2007

Senior Year Soundrack

I'm taking part in the Senior Year Soundtrack, an effort to ease the boredom of Zube Girl, who's been restricted to bedrest due to a delicate pregnancy. From the challenge:

"There are certain songs that, as soon as I hear them, I’m instantly taken back to a very specific time and place. Driving with the windows down, age 16, never knowing what freedom and independence felt like until I was able to just get my damn self somewhere all own my own, thank you very much. Sitting with friends in a basement or a living room, sipping the beer we’d persuaded someone’s older brother to buy and trading gossip. Riding home in the middle of the night after a post-concert Vic & Bill’s run spent scarfing cheese fries and swapping hair and makeup tips with the drag queens from the club next door.

Somehow, while I was getting ready this morning, five or six of these songs played in a row on my iPod and I started wondering what songs did this same little time travel number on other people. My accidental playlist happened to place me squarely in the middle of my senior year in high school. 1994-95. So from this and a few conversations with Zube Girl sprang forth the idea for “Senior Year Soundtrack.” What are your senior year songs? Are they from high school or college? What are the stories behind them? And most of all…could you be persuaded to share them with the internet?"

So...could I be persuaded to share my senior year soundtrack? Having graduated in the '80s? When music was...well, I'm not sure what music was doing in the 80's. Despite this, I found a playlist I was willing to fess up to:

Aerosmith – Angel
Alphaville – Forever Young
Animotion – Obsession
Barenaked Ladies – The King of Bedside Manor
Billy Joel – This is the Time
Blotto – I Wanna Be a Lifeguard
Cowboy Junkies – Blue Moon Revisited
Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died In Your Arms
Def Leppard – Pour Some Sugar On Me
Duran Duran – Wild Boys
Genesis – Horizons
Heart – These Dreams
Howard Jones – Things Can Only Get Better
Kajagoogoo – Too Shy
Led Zepplin – Ozone Baby
Lloyd Cole and the Commotions – Jennifer She Said
OMD – If You Leave
Queen – You’re My Best Friend
Red Hot Chili Peppers – Me and My Friends
The Cure – Friday I’m In Love
The Style Council – You’re the Best Thing
Thompson Twins – Hold Me Now
U2 - With or Without You

So...what's your playlist?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok, I'll bite. (but then, some of my selections might, too.)

rolling stones- start me up
kansas- carry on wayward son
pink floyd- any of the wall
beatles- across the universe (waaay older)
john lennon- any of double fantasy
hall & oates- maneater
asia- heat of the moment

subscribe!

Add to Google Reader or Homepage Powered by FeedBurner Subscribe in Bloglines